old salut!

Colin Randall wrote here on France, things Anglo-French and more......but has moved

December 28, 2006

Gone today, Hyères tomorrow

This site has now moved to Salut!



Salut! is on the move.

Surrounded by cartons stuffed with millions of folk CDs, football fanzines and books on everything from the French revolution to the history of badminton, we bid farewell to Paris.

Specifically, it is adieu to the rue de Rivoli, our grand if not very homely home for the past two-and-a-half years. Part of the magnificent view from the living room is captured inexpertly here (where's Bill when you need him?).

Tomorrow, we will pass the busy little Mediterranean town of Hyères - which really has nothing much to do with this except that I couldn't resist the title - on the final approach to Le Lavandou and a new life there.

There is little time between filling in insurance forms and supervising the removal of our belongings to say much more, and there is also little need.

But what will I tell my neighbour Jacques Chirac? Despite our ups and downs, the president has gamely invited me back to the Elysée for the New Year's drinks reception he throws for journalists each January.

This, we can safely assume, will be his last such voeux, and it looks as if I shall be among absentees.

And the loss of presidential office will mean that the Chiracs will also no longer be our neighbours in the Var, since their holiday home at, the Fort de Brégançon, goes with the job. But somehow I feel our paths will cross again.

I'll be back here soon enough once we've settled in, with reflections on what I will and will not miss about Paris. In the meantime, I will lift France in Flashes near the top of the blog in case the more recent additions inspire further comment.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

This site has now moved to Salut!

3 Comments:

At December 28, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Sir Compton Valence said...

Good luck in your new place. Enjoyed reading your stuff.

 
At December 28, 2006 2:41 PM, Blogger Bill Taylor said...

Travel safely.

 
At December 31, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

Oooh - Le Lavandou...I don't know what life in Paris is like but I know that the South is another country...beautiful beaches, pastis, pétanque...and really great pizzas! I miss it so :-( - I'm sure you'll appreciate the douceur de vivre. Bon voyage et Bonne Année!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home