old salut!

Colin Randall wrote here on France, things Anglo-French and more......but has moved

November 22, 2006

Coming out as a Colin

This site has now moved to Salut!

It looks as if Salut! is about to breeze past another milestone. Having clocked up 1,000 profile views by yesterday, it seems certain that the number of visits will reach five figures some time today.

The truth is that we have already passed the 10,000 mark. Salut! had been in operation and attracting lots of readers for two-and-a-half weeks before I installed the counter.

Thanks for your interest or support, or both, and thanks also for the lively and - for the most part - acceptable debate and banter.

I felt sneaking sympathy for Colin Berry's daughter and the loyalty she quite properly showed towards her father.

It does seem to me that, within reason and the usual bounds of decency and the law, this site should be open to pretty much anyone.

Perhaps there are decent and lawful contributions still to come that I will feel, for one reason or another, ought to be discouraged.

Mere disagreement with someone (as often occurs with Bill Taylor, close friend though he is, as well as with strangers, Colin Berry included) would not be such a reason.

But Corinne's deception, leading a poor chap on to think she cared enough about the footballing fortunes of Sunderland to look up the score from a lowly Saturday match, does present a tough test of my Voltaire-like advocacy of free speech.

Suspicions have been raised by others. And the fact that Corinne's, complete with apostrophe s, rhymes passably with the way most French people pronounce my Christian name, and therefore Colin Berry's too, may be too much of a coincidence.

It is just possible that CB dislikes his first name. I will never be able to forget the day, a birthday come to that, when my name appeared prominently on one arts page feature, about Linda Thompson, only to be juxtaposed with another in which the actor Colin Firth lamented that he'd been lumbered with "the sort of name you give your goldfish".

But the evidence is still thin, whatever trouble people appear to have staying away each time they say they will. Why, even Natalie returned briefly, all smiles and forgiveness, despite my disapproval of Texan penal policies and the efforts of Richard of Orléans to impose a Frenchified H on her prénom.

It is for my namesake to declare himself if he chooses.

Anonymity and pseudonyms have their uses, and I would not wish to insist on everyone posting a proper identification.

If Corinne is Colin (B), however, then he is as guilty of stretching an amusing ruse a little too far as one or two others may have been of turning him into a punchbag.

This site has now moved to Salut!

23 Comments:

At November 22, 2006 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Randall

I am sorry that my positings here have caused you upset. It was not my intention to emmbarrass you personally. I am sorry my name sounds like yours, at least in the Chinese restaurants you appear to freaquewent. And if my French copatriots say Corinne to sound like Colin, you must tell them not to talk with their mouths full.

I only mentioned Sunderland, not because I am interested in your Scottish football, but to show interest in your interests, if you see what I mean: just a jesture amicable. My teacher told me that the Wembley turf was sacred. I did not realise the same was true of Sunderland peat bogs. Or is it Sutherland (?) - I always get those two mixed up !

Anyway, I have decided to change my name. I asked my English teacher for a nice safe one, that cannot be confused with Colin. So if I post here again, it will be as Gladys. Please do not look for culvert meanings. I am a simple girl - like Jeanne of Arc de Triomphe was simple, and I now know how she feel when she was braised at the steak.

 
At November 22, 2006 5:27 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Oh dear, Colin R, what have you done? ... braised at the steak ... ! whatever next?

 
At November 22, 2006 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe gladys is really Richard of Orleans giving himself the opportunity to be something other than his usual self without appearing to sell out...

Doubtful though.

 
At November 22, 2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Louise said...

You might have a point there, Sarah - especially going on about Joan of Arc - his neck of the woods isn't it?

 
At November 22, 2006 8:39 PM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Colin R, put your specs on. It’s pretty easy to see the difference between the Corinne’s and the Colin’s. The Corinne’s never stop talking.

OK Gladys, you phoney Frenchwoman. What do you think of the great Olympic rip off? So now we learn that it’s going to cost four times what that smart little Coe said, with his shiny brass buttons. Oh what a surprise. Yes, honest, a complete surprise, like the WMD. Wembley style engineering overruns still to come.

 
At November 22, 2006 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I miss something, Monsieur Richard. How many gold medals does Grande Bretagne get for hoisting the Olympics ?

So the London Olympics will cost more grand than was originally estimated. But who pays the extra ? Richard d'Orléans ? Les Parisiens ? La France ? Surely none of these. It is the poor British who must dig deep into their poches. More foule them for letting the Coe-Blair alliance steal the show in Singapour. Or was it King Kong ?

 
At November 23, 2006 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will have to be so careful too, Mr.Marchenoir, since Mr. Randall can see punctuation in our French names where there is none. For me it was an apostrophe. For you it may be an é in stead of an e, and before you know whatever you will become Mr.Blackmarket, and then what ? That angry M.Richard d'Orléans will then report you to les flics for taxivasion perhaps.

 
At November 23, 2006 7:27 AM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Gladys ? so under that thick make up you condone cheetahs ? You sound a very English animal lover

 
At November 23, 2006 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you mean to say cheaters, M. Richard, not cheetahs. If you are interesting, I can recommend a very good English teacher. It is he I must thank for my now command of the language.

 
At November 23, 2006 8:02 AM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Ah that's interesting. Did he give you a translation into English of those two words we use in French 'fair play'?

 
At November 23, 2006 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah oui, vive le fair play. That is a conception that our friends across La Manche will never understand.

 
At November 23, 2006 8:41 AM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Your right Gladys. Maybe it was a later gentic development that never got over there.

 
At November 23, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Fair play = Messieurs les Anglais tires les premiers!

 
At November 23, 2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Sorry - should read 'tirez'

 
At November 23, 2006 12:17 PM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

You're right Louise. Inevitably 'filer à l'anglaise' comes to mind as well. That's what I am doing this evening, but I'll be back.Wish me luck.

 
At November 23, 2006 1:14 PM, Blogger Louise said...

You're not going to the land of rusty bath water, are you Richard? Talk about living dangerously...

 
At November 23, 2006 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're sensitive about your name, Colin? Think yourself lucky you weren't lumbered with mine. I well remember, as a lad growing up in Leeds, being hit by the playground bully for having what he considered a girl's name. He then hit me again. "Why?" I moaned. He happily informed me that was because I had two girl's names - Julie and Ann. So, like a boy named Sue, I took karate lessons and the rest is history.....

 
At November 23, 2006 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne Gilbert's post censored ! Unheard of! And having read it, one has to ask: WHY ??????

 
At November 23, 2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did the post say?

 
At November 23, 2006 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about an unidentified person(s) having egg on their face - overhasty in their judgment, needing to eat humble pie.

 
At November 23, 2006 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad it sounds jumbled.She usually writes good posts.

 
At November 23, 2006 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I have not done justice to the original, and you would have described it as another good Anne Gilbert post. Speaking for myself, I found it difficult to be absolutely certain who or what it was aimed at, but that may be cos i'm a bit thick.

But the key thing is that you and others who missed it during the brief time it was up have been denied an opportunity to judge for yourselves.

Obviously it hit a raw nerve, but I can't for the life of me see why.

 
At November 24, 2006 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas! Lord and Lady Dalhousie are dead, and buried at last,
Which causes many people to feel a little downcast;
And both lie side by side in one grave,
But I hope God in His goodness their souls will save.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home