old salut!

Colin Randall wrote here on France, things Anglo-French and more......but has moved

November 20, 2006

Matt: coming to the aid of the party

This site has now moved to Salut!

Tell Matt Pritchett you're writing a book that is bound to make a fortune, and offer to pay him for a few cartoons that would make that fortune bigger still, and he'll politely decline.

"If I started saying yes to all those things, I'd never see my children," he once explained.

But ask him to draw a cartoon for someone's leaving souvenir - a mock-up front page that newspaper people traditionally produce for a departing colleague - and the answer is invariably Yes.

As one responsible for a number of such pages when I worked in London, I never ceased to be amazed at the man's generosity with his time.

Often enough, he'd barely know the colleague in question; reading a draft of the main story for the page was enough for him to come up with an inspired image and/or gag.

On Friday, I found myself taking possession of my third personal Matt cartoon. He has given me permission to post it here, and I know he will not mind me adding the previous two once I get the hang** of it. All appear on the next Salut! posting - Matt's gloss on a career - but I have deleted the inferior reproduction of the latest cartoon that was originally here.

Matt could not make it to the Cheshire Cheese, the pub in Fleet Street (where else?) that I chose for my send-off, just as I had thrown parties there when I left the Press Association for the Telegraph and London for Paris.

But I am glad to say that his final cartoon for me came along to the party, safely inserted at the foot of my spoof page one. There was also, in keeping with another tradition, a framed original.

Needless to say, the cartoon injects a little dignity into a page otherwise devoted to impertinent jibes about my tastes in music and football, an alleged obsession with curries, seafood and foie gras of which I was naturally unaware and my dubious origins (brought up from infancy in County Durham but born, unpardonably, in Hove).

That Matt is a genius is beyond serious debate. No one needs to inspect or even know about the fistful of awards to see how gifted he is. It shines from each work that is published and, since he submits six contenders daily for one or at most two slots, from many that are not.

Perhaps most people would settle for being a genius at whatever it is they do. To be a great bloke as well as a genius lifts rarity to a new level.


** And apologies for the amateurish and uneven first attempt to post the cartoon. Almost any child of 10 could have done it properly in a fraction of the time it took me to do it badly.

This site has now moved to Salut!

25 Comments:

At November 20, 2006 3:44 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Wonderful cartoon -as always with Matt!

 
At November 20, 2006 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colin, what a terrific souvenir. Lucky lad!

 
At November 20, 2006 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I think there has been sum type of mistake. A big big one. You must need someone else to order your office equipment in London. That is not an office guillotine. It is one from.... a French museum. Perhaps you do not understand what it was used for ?!!

The cartoon is funny in a way for me, but perhaps not the way your Matt friend has meant it to be.

PS I will send you an email to explain in more detail. But it is not very nice.

PPS It might work on A4 if you keep the razor sharp as a blade, and your fingers out of the way.

 
At November 20, 2006 8:52 PM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Quick,what's the French for gallows humour?

 
At November 21, 2006 11:37 AM, Blogger Louise said...

...la Revolution Francaise?

Not really humerous though

 
At November 21, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Louise said...

Sorry - nice spelling mistake there!

 
At November 21, 2006 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, I do not understand why you make these jokes about our French Revolution.

It bring us Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité and Sororité.

My only regret is that they decide to drop the Sororité, and use Fraternité to represent being Sisterly as well as Brotherly.

But apart from that, the Revolution was a glorious chapter in our history, and all thanks to Joan of Arc.

 
At November 21, 2006 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Sorry I should have given her full title:

Joan of Arc de Triomphe

 
At November 21, 2006 12:20 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Okay Corinne - who are you? "please, I do not understand" - rubbish!

"Glorious chapter in our history" - don't make me laugh - it was probably one of the most despicable moments in French history in the last thousand years.

 
At November 21, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Louise said...

...and tell us what the guillotine was used for ... the sororite movement perhaps? A word I admit having to google - c'est joli.

 
At November 21, 2006 12:39 PM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Corinne
I agree with you. The world owes France a lot, of course you can't progress without effort and sacrifice. These peasant English that are only interested in their year end bonus. They accept to be bossed around by a Queen and try to impose a monarchy on the Iraqis.

 
At November 21, 2006 12:51 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Roo - just because Corinne refers to Jeanne d'Arc you don't have to be as silly as she/he is.

 
At November 21, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Colin Randall said...

Well, (s)he had me fooled with the football references but not any more...............

 
At November 21, 2006 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do not some of you understand the agonie of France in 1789. That australian gold digger woman Marie Antoinette had married the Dolphin and then become Queen.

She then wasted lots and lots of French money, living in her giant dollhouse and eating cake all day. And what did she do when the communists stormed the Bastille, letting out all the bad prisoners ? She just sat there nitting, although nits were a real problem in those days.

Some of you people in England need to learn your history before you talk about our glorious revelation.

 
At November 21, 2006 1:30 PM, Blogger richard of orléans said...

Colin R. Beware of Englis(wo)men bringing gifts, or bringing anything, or indeed nothing. Just don't be trusting, there is always a catch. Especially if they are pretending to be a French woman.

 
At November 21, 2006 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First you seem to have only one subject, "Roo". Now you are changing it. You make me very perspexed.

 
At November 21, 2006 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We make jokes about everything, Corinne. It's called 'not taking yourself too seriously' and is a great way to combat pomposity.

 
At November 21, 2006 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think perhaps you are a very deep inside person, Sarah. I do not always full understand why you say the things you do. But I expect your mummy loves you, and that underneath that hard outer shell you are a nicely sweet person, like as with me, except with me it often more shows.

You should try watching some funny films, like Amelie.

 
At November 21, 2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Give up Corinne - your English goes downhill every time you post a comment!

 
At November 21, 2006 3:12 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Colin (Antibes) - are you responsible for this rubbish?

 
At November 21, 2006 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I couldn't stand the film Amelie. I found her really irritating.

 
At November 21, 2006 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do people here keep changing the subject ? First Roo, now Louise. How can one have a proper conversion when people keep going off at tangerines ?

There are so many interesting things to discuss, like the magnifiquent French Revolution. And can someone please explain the joke in that cartoon? I do not understand your English humour. Except that you English are always funny, I say to myself. Except Sarah. She is not alway funny.

But it is now time for my English lesson. Please, I do my best, but you go too very fast for me sometimes.

 
At November 21, 2006 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, boo hoo, I'm not funny. :(
*sniff*

 
At November 21, 2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Well, Sarah, we have eventually discovered the one and only fan of Amelie - load of c**p! Perhaps "Corinne" you should go and see the film "Marie Antoinette" - that will satisfy your willingness to believe all that rubbish about "Let them eat cake"

 
At November 21, 2006 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that you are being rather unkind to a French person who is making an effort to communicate in English, which is quite a rarity in itself. Any French person could reasonably be expected to be upset about being called a "hake from Antibes", since that is what the word "colin" means in French.

I remember once before there was an outbreak of paranoia, on Colin Randall's Telegraph blog, where one blogger seemed convinced that everyone contributing under a pseudonym was one and the same person. You will be familiar with the expression "Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you" - I think the salient word is "they"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home